Traditional, removable dentures have many limitations, making it difficult for denture wearers to enjoy their favorite foods or talk without slurring their speech. Implant-supported dentures are an improvement over traditional dentures, offering secure, natural feeling tooth replacement. Many current denture wearers and new denture wearers are choosing implant-supported dentures for their ability to restore dental function and confidence. Dr. Mounir Iskandar determines which patients are good implant-supported dentures candidates during consultations at his Irving, TX practice. Schedule a consultation to find out if you’re a candidate.
What Are Implant-supported Dentures?
Implant-supported dentures are similar to traditional removable dentures, but they anchor securely within the mouth using multiple dental implants. As many as six dental implants are surgically placed within the jawbone of each arch. The jawbone will then heal around the implants, creating a permanent, secure bond. Custom-made implant-supported dentures may then be attached to the dental implants with a metal bar attachment or metal studs. Some implant-supported dentures are permanently placed while others may be removed for ease of cleaning.
Candidates for Implant-supported Dentures
Implant-supported dentures require minor oral surgery. Accordingly, not all people are suitable candidates for implant-supported dentures. Candidates for implant-supported dentures should be in good general health in order to tolerate surgery. Candidates should also be non-smokers, or be able to commit to giving up smoking well in advance of surgery and throughout recovery, as smoking can cause implant failure and other complications. Additionally, candidates need to have sufficient jawbone tissue in order to accommodate the dental implants. Bone loss can be an issue with long term tooth loss sufferers. However, a bone graft may be performed to rebuild the jaw for dental implant treatment. In addition to being in good general health, a non-smoker, and having sufficient jawbone tissue, candidates for implant-supported dentures include:
- New denture wearer
- Long term denture wearer
- Unhappy with removable dentures
- Denture adhesives don’t provide the desired level of security
- Experience irritation from traditional removable dentures
The Benefits of Implant-supported Dentures
Implant-supported dentures provide many benefits, making them a popular treatment option for current and new denture wearers. Some of the many benefits include:
- Natural look and feel: Implant-supported dentures anchor within the jawbone, providing a more natural look and feel.
- More comfortable: Implant-supported dentures stay in place and won’t slip around like traditional removable dentures, making them more comfortable and less likely to irritate the gums.
- Able to enjoy your favorite foods: Implant-supported dentures fit securely within the mouth, allowing denture wearers to enjoy all of their favorite foods.
- Won’t slip while talking: Implant-supported dentures stay in place all day, allowing denture wearers to talk with confidence and clarity.
- No need for messy adhesives: Implant-supported dentures anchor within the mouth without the need for messy adhesives.
- Improved confidence: Implant-supported dentures won’t slip and slide while talking or eating, allowing denture wearers to take n the day with confidence.
Find Out if You’re a Candidate for Implant-supported Dentures
To find out if you’re a candidate for implant-supported dentures, we welcome you to schedule a consultation with Dr. Iskandar.